WHEN CONSIDERING ALTERNATIVE INVESTMENTS, INCLUDING HEDGE FUNDS, YOU SHOULD CONSIDER VARIOUS RISKS INCLUDING THE FACT THAT SOME ALTERNATIVE INVESTMENT PRODUCTS: OFTEN ENGAGE IN LEVERAGING AND OTHER SPECULATIVE INVESTMENT PRACTICES THAT MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF INVESTMENT LOSS, CAN BE ILLIQUID, ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE PERIODIC PRICING OR VALUATION INFORMATION TO INVESTORS, MAY INVOLVE COMPLEX TAX STRUCTURES AND DELAYS IN DISTRIBUTING IMPORTANT TAX INFORMATION, ARE NOT SUBJECT TO THE SAME REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS AS MUTUAL FUNDS, OFTEN CHARGE HIGH FEES, AND IN MANY CASES THE UNDERLYING INVESTMENTS ARE NOT TRANSPARENT AND ARE KNOWN ONLY TO THE INVESTMENT MANAGER.
WITH RESPECT TO AN INVESTMENT IN A HEDGE FUND ("FUND"), YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT:
- FUNDS ARE SPECULATIVE AND MAY USE LEVERAGE AND AS A RESULT THEIR RETURNS MAY BE VOLATILE.
- YOU MAY LOSE ALL OR PORTION OF YOUR INVESTMENT IN THE FUND.
- WITH RESPECT TO SINGLE MANAGER FUNDS THE FUND'S MANAGER HAS TOTAL TRADING AUTHORITY. THE USE OF A SINGLE MANAGER COULD MEAN A LACK OF DIVERSIFICATION AND HIGHER RISK. WITH RESPECT TO FUNDS OF FUNDS, THE FUND'S MANAGER HAS COMPLETE DISCRETION TO INVEST IN VARIOUS SUB-FUNDS WITHOUT DISCLOSURE THEREOF TO YOU OR TO US. BECAUSE OF THIS LACK OF TRANSPARENCY, THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO MONITOR THE SPECIFIC INVESTMENTS MADE BY THE FUND OR TO KNOW WHETHER THE SUB-FUND INVESTMENTS ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE FUND'S HISTORIC INVESTMENT PHILOSOPHY OR RISK LEVELS.
- THERE IS NO SECONDARY MARKET FOR THE INTERESTS. TRANSFERS OF INTERESTS ARE SUBJECT TO LIMITATIONS. THE FUND'S MANAGER MAY DENY A REQUEST TO TRANSFER IF IT DETERMINES THAT THE TRANSFER MAY RESULT IN ADVERSE LEGAL OR TAX CONSEQUENCES FOR THE FUND.
- THE FUND IS SUBJECT TO SUBSTANTIAL EXPENSES THAT MUST BE OFFSET BY TRADING PROFITS AND OTHER INCOME. A PORTION OF THOSE FEES IS PAID TO ALTEGRIS. ALTEGRIS MAY SPLIT THOSE FEES WITH JOHN MAULDIN IN HIS CAPACITY AS A REGISTERED REPRESENTATIVE WITH MILLENNIUM WAVE SECURITIES, LLC WITH ONE-THIRD OF THE FEES PAYABLE TO MAULDIN. SUCH FEE SHARING ARRANGEMENTS COULD PRESENT A CONFLICT OF INTEREST. WITH RESPECT TO FUNDS OF FUNDS, BECAUSE THE FUND INVESTS IN OTHER FUNDS AND FEES ARE CHARGED AT BOTH THE FUND AND SUB-FUND LEVEL, THE OVERALL FEES YOU WILL PAY WILL BE HIGHER THAT YOU WOULD PAY BY INVESTING DIRECTLY IN THE SUB-FUNDS. IN ADDITION, EACH SUB-FUND CHARGES AN INCENTIVE FEE ON NEW PROFITS REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE OVERALL OPERATIONS OF THE FUND ARE PROFITABLE.
- A SUBSTANTIAL PORTION OF THE FUND'S TRADES MAY TAKE PLACE ON FOREIGN EXCHANGES THAT MAY NOT OFFER THE SAME REGULATORY PROTECTION AS US EXCHANGES.
A FUND'S OFFERING MEMORANDUM DESCRIBES THE VARIOUS RISKS AND CONFLICTS OF INTEREST RELATING TO AN INVESTMENT IN THE SPECIFIC FUND AND TO ITS OPERATIONS. YOU SHOULD READ THE OFFERING MEMORANDUM CAREFULLY TO DETERMINE WHETHER AN INVESTMENT IS SUITABLE FOR YOU IN LIGHT OF, AMONG OTHER THINGS, YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION, NEED FOR LIQUIDITY, TAX SITUATION, RISK TOLERANCE AND OTHER INVESTMENTS.
KEEP IN MIND THAT THE PAST PERFORMANCE OF ANY INVESTMENT IS NOT NECESSARILY INDICATIVE OF FUTURE RESULTS. YOU SHOULD ONLY COMMIT RISK CAPITAL TO A FUND INVESTMENT. ALTERNATIVE INVESTMENT PRODUCTS, INCLUDING HEDGE FUNDS, ARE NOT FOR EVERYONE AND ENTAIL RISKS THAT ARE DIFFERENT FROM MORE TRADITIONAL INVESTMENTS. YOU SHOULD OBTAIN INVESTMENT AND TAX ADVICE FROM YOUR ADVISERS BEFORE DECIDING TO INVEST.
Information presented on this site has been obtained from sources that John Mauldin reasonably believes to be reliable. However, Mauldin has not and cannot verify the accuracy of every detail of such information, and potential investors should be aware that such information is subject to change without notice. Not all products and services described on this website are available in all jurisdictions, and certain investments may not be suitable for all investors. Certain investment products that are available to U.S. persons have not been registered with any federal or state regulator, and as a result are available only to certain qualified investors. Qualifications vary from product to product.
The information on this website should not be construed as investment advice. You should obtain independent investment and tax advice before deciding to invest.
Past performance is not indicative of future results. There is risk of loss when investing in managed futures or funds. The information contained in this website may not be reproduced, reorganized or used to create and financial product including an index. This information is for informational purposes only and is provided on an "as is" basis. The user assumes the entire risk of its use. John Mauldin and Millennium Wave Investments and their affiliates expressly disclaim all warranties of originality, merchantability, of fitness for any particular purpose. Without limiting the foregoing, in no event will John Mauldin, Millennium Wave Investments or their affiliates or employees have any liability in connection with the use by any person of the information or data presented in this website.